Monday, February 1, 2010

My glass is full!

The "hand over"
We had our anniversary a couple of weeks back and I had this whole image in my head. I would wake up to breakfast in bed (coffee, OJ and banana nut French toast). I would snuggle with my boys and we would giggle and tell funny stories. When I came down stairs all the toys would be nicely stored away, the dog hair would be gone and I would have a new flat screen TV in the back room. In reality it didn’t work out that way….. Instead Hudson and Alexa (we had a sleepover with his cousin) got up at 6am when they are usually up at 7am. Why is it that kids get up early on Saturday mornings and sleep late during the week?
I quickly stuffed them back in bed and told them not to move until the sun came up. And although I did enjoy another 30 minutes of shut eye snuggled with Dylan I could hear them giggling and reading books in my room. When I finally did get up and go downstairs. The house was a mess (same as I left it), dog hair all over the couch and a trail of cheerios from the panty to the table. I made coffee and put the kids in the bounce house so I could at least enjoy a hot cup of coffee while I caught up on the Today show. Danny did bring me home beautiful red roses. And I searched the house for some candy to give him for our sixth year gift. Of course I didn’t find any that was not half eaten and now that I am writing this I realize that I didn’t give him the card I got either. I guess I will save it for next year.
The rest of the day was like any other filled with errands, Dr visits, time outs (adults and children), naps, clean up games and laughs. Danny and I did manage to sneak out for a drink and dessert and catch up on life’s happenings. I kind of had forgotten how important a date night with the hubby is. As I went to bed that night I couldn’t help thinking about how lucky I am. That eventhough my days "are like any other" they are mine. I have a family that loves me, supports me and laughs with me. I have someone to hold at night and many nights I have two littles ones to hold.
Now yes we all have hard days and take a little ride on the pity train from time to time but when you stop to think about it the blessing in life far outweight the trials. Life was not meant to be easy or pretty all the time.
No matter how I look at it my glass is full. There is nothing empty about it!
the dance 2004 - At Last by Etta James

And what we are dancing to this week 2010:

I gotta feeling by Black Eyed Peas

1 comments:

Deb said...

happy anniversary, julie! I love what you wrote. so true!