Tuesday, December 9, 2008

I know I don’t talk about it much, but during these cold winter months I have an even greater respect for my husband. Danny has been a part of the FDNY for 5 years and has loved every minute of it. He truly found what he was meant to be. Now it goes without saying that his job is dangerous….he runs into the fire when our natural instinct is to run out. As we pass each other in the hall and say our goodbyes I don’t think that it might be the last time. I can’t live life like that. Besides as I joke I could get hit by a bus on my way to work. I have come to learn that life is dangerous and precious all in one breathe. What I think about on these cold winter days is the fact that he even gets on that engine and helps people at all. I mean let’s be honest would you run to help someone you did not know when it was 20 degrees out. I tend to think that I am a good person but I would not go that far. And I could not have a job that required me to do so. I would have quickly been on Monster looking for something else….anything else. I am also grateful that for the most part he keeps his job at the firehouse. He sees a lot of……let’s say the unpleasantness of the world. As a mother I can only imagine that seeing harm brought to people and children on a weekly basis would break me. I think he tends to be more appreciative when he gets home for what he has. We all know that life can be cruel but I would not want it put in front of my face as a reminder. In my eyes he truly is a hero. He as strength and spirit that I don’t think I have the heart to possess. If it was me out there those poor souls would be waiting until I finished my cup of hot coffee and then I would probably end up bringing them home to care for.

2 comments:

Begin to Breathe said...

Yep...I think all the men and women who are willing to put their lives at risk (on a much higher level than just walking out the door in the morning) deserve that respect. I also think the suuportive husbands and wives of those courageous people are also pretty incredible :)
The really like the picture in this post.
Love you Julie....Jess

The Murphy's said...

I love your words. What a beautiful tribute to Danny. I am grateful that you have a hero like him in your life.