Yesterday was one of those days when everything that could go wrong did....and it was all before 9am. I woke up a small ice storm....the boys decided to sleep in late.....danny was working so it was just me getting the clan out of the house.....forgot the ez-pass....way too much traffic. When I finally got to work one small question led to a three hour project. By noon I was done with the day. I wanted to just crawl back into bed and start over.....and then it started to snow! Seriously, I did not need to drive home in snow....and the traffic that would cause. So I made a post on facebook about my day and how it was falling apart and my spirit along with it. And to my surprise I got some great words of support. When I got home I realized that despite my feelings of pity I was not alone in the world. I had great friends and could call on anyone of them to make me laugh. I suddenly remembered the saying I have up at my desk at work and instantly I changed my attitude.
Now I know we are all entitled to a ride on the Pity Train every now and again. We are only human and need to feel the range of emotions. But if you need some words to bring you back this is what I have at my desk.
"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. It will make or break a company ... a church ... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past. We cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude ... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me, and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you ... we are in charge of our Attitudes" - Charles Swindoll.

5 comments:
I love Charles Swindoll! I have heard his sister speak at a womens conference. Both of them are amazing authors!
Yep...we definitely make the decision on how to react to our day...eachother. Always impressed with people/spouses :) that can hold it together despite a day that has been filled with road blocks and curve balls.
i love you juls,
jess
Love that quote. I have heard just the last part, but never the entire quote. Thanks for sharing.
Sorry you had a rough day. I know how that goes. Especially when you are so far from loved ones and surrounded by cold. (there's nothing like dark dreary weather to lift your spirits! :))
Hopefully you weren't pone of the thousands who went without power after the ice-storms. We missed the ice, thankfully. But tomorrow we expect to get dumped on! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you.
I love you...to me, your attitude is always awesome. You are always a word of encourgement to me, or an hear to listen... I am glad FB was able to help you reach a better place. I want you to know how much people around you love you..
xoxxoxo
By the way, I'll try and remember this whole attitude discussion when I am stuck on a plane for 5 hours with a two year old...LOL
that is a great quote, and it is so true! I try and work on my attitude because I see how it affects my kids. I think as moms, we really set the tone for our house, and we are teaching our kids without even realizing it by how we react to things. There are days though, where I am ready for it to be over and it's only 9 AM. those ones are a struggle!
Good post, and matching picture!
Amen, sister. :-). Your insight is inspiring. xo.
Post a Comment