Sunday, May 10, 2009

Motherhood

Is a blessing and a struggle! Growing up I was the "mom" of the group but when I actually became one I was floored. I experienced some crazy baby blues when Hudson was born. Five weeks to be exact. Five weeks of nothing but tears, anxiety, questions and this sense that maybe I was not a "mom" after all. Five weeks of doing and doing and getting nothing in return.

And then one morning I picked Hudson up and he smiled. And it was weeks before I cried again.

Looking back those five weeks were like training....something like boot camp.

I have come to learn that with motherhood there are days when you smile and days when you cry.

There are days where all I do is pick up cheerios, wipe runny noses, give too many time outs (some to myself), change blow out diapers, cut the PB & J sandwiches in square instead of triangles, don't shower and in general struggle to keep my sanity.
Then there are days when it all seems so easy.
I overhear the boys playing nicely together.
Hudson tells me that we need to turn off the TV to save energy.
Dylan plays with puzzles instead of trying to jump off the dining room tables.
Bedtime is 10 minutes rather then an hour.
Just the other night I had the chance to meet up with some girl friends for dinner and guess what we talked about the whole time.....the kids. Half way into the dinner we tried to figure out what we use to talk about before kids and we couldn't remember. So we went back to talking about the kids.
Today is my third mother's day I am thinking about how different life has been these last couple years. And although I often joke that all I want is some time to myself I know that I wouldn't know what to do with it. Whether you are a stay at home mom or a working mom motherhood is hard.
But I don't want it any other way! This is my life and I love it!
So I just want to wish a Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there. Our job is the best and I hope today was one of the days that you smiled!

4 comments:

Kelley and Richard said...

I love your blog! Gosh those little guys are cuties. Kx

Sommer Gard said...

Though I never got the baby blues, sometimes it can be so overwhelming. Although kids are a blessing, it is a ton more give then get.

Deb said...

Hope you had a great Mother's Day, Julie. I understand the baby blues! Going from zero to one was the hugest adjustment for me, and my life was turned upside down. Motherhood has been filled with ups and downs like you say, but of course we can't imagine life without our kids.

Anonymous said...

I loved this post. You hit motherhood right on the nail. It is a hard and often overwhelming job. but it's an honor to have this job and I wouldn't want any other.

Enjoy Ca for me! I can't wait to be there, too!