Monday, July 27, 2009

MJ - Iconic and Timeless

It has been a month since the death of Michael Jackson and while I am kind of over hearing about the latest update I am still a little shocked at the whole thing. Yes the man was strange and yes there were rumors that he was not playing with a full deck but I can honestly say that almost all his songs touched me in some way. The man was a musical genius who ultimately touched more then just my generation And despite all the media hoopla and conspiracy theories I have decided that I am on MJ’s side. I am not denying that there came a point in MJ’s life when he lost it. I remember being confused at all the surgery’s to recreate himself. He seemed just fine to me but then I didn’t grow up in his shoes. I didn’t grow up singing in front of millions of fans, going thru puberty in front of millions of fans, being beaten by my father and countless other things no child should endure. Granted as an adult I feel he made some bad choices. One should probably not dangle your children from hotels rooms or share beds with children other then your own. His life is a true representation of how a victim becomes the accused. That is the cycle. Now don’t get me wrong I did not break down in tears when I heard the news report or take a day off work so I could fly to LA to attend the funeral. That would just be crazy. But to say that I was not impacted by his death would be a lie. I will probably always remember his passing. I still remember sitting at my desk checking traffic and seeing the flash "Michael Jackson Hospitalized!" I kept thinking how crazy it would be if MJ was the third death that week. His music was a part huge of my childhood and has manged to dance its way into my present life. I still love to hear his songs and dance to his beats. I will always feel young when I listen to his music. Like 15 years young. And now for the most important part......his music has touched my own children. Hudson loves the shake his thing to P-Y-T. And I have been teaching him to kick his legs like Billy Jean for months. A couple of nights ago I went into the basement and I found my Thiller LP. I popped that bad boy on my record player and Dylan and I danced liked zombies. And I think that is pretty cool.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're awesome! My girls live for the Jackson five and his early stuff, too. When I was in fourth grade I had a white glove that I thought made me look so cool. It didn't. But he was pretty great to dance to.

About his changing face, I once read that he altered his face so much because he began to look like his father. I guess the feeling was after years of abuse that was the last face he wanted to look at in the mirror. Don't know if it's true, any of it, but it's sad that it could be.

Annie said...

This is why we are such good friends..I agree 100% with all you wrote. He was a musical genius. I still love his songs too. And I agree he wasn't dealing with a full deck..But neither was Elvis Prestly and he is a hero in music history. Ironically, he too died of an overdose.. Anyway..dido.