I must have been 10 or 11 when my teacher said I needed to read for 15 minutes each night to "improve" my reading skills. I first remember sitting in bed with my mom while we read and then later alone. It became one of my favorite things to do. It allowed me to escape and imagine all at the same time. I would lose myself for hours with the stories and characters I created in my head.
When I brought my little ones into the world I turned my nightly reads on them and started to read more Dr Seuss and Clifford then I had before. As a wise mom once told me....the three B's for a perfect bed time...bath, bottle, book. And if I am honest it works for all of us in this house.
As the boys are growing (and we are still stuck in the house due to unbearable winter temps) I find them often reading to each other. I love to hear their conversations. I love how Dylan is always the one to get all the books. And Hudson is the one to decide which ones they will read first.
By far the favorite book is a "What Am I?" book.
It is a long book with 3 flaps on each page that use simple riddles for children to guess what animal or object is under the flap. Dylan's running joke (if a 2 year old can have one) is that he says "bear" for every one. He knows the right answer but just loves to make me and Hudson laugh each time he says it. And then when the bear does come up he says something different. And Hudson comments: "What is up with this kid"
Tuesday, March 9, 2010
One of my favorite things
Posted by Julie McRedmond at 10:49 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comments:
We follow the same ritual here ever night..The three B's are awesome... Brookie now has me reading 3 books and singing 5 songs. Soon, bedtime will be started at 5pm...Brady and I get into some good chapter books. He reads to me usually now. Funny though, he always says, "mom you read a little now, like you used to". He is so big...yet so little still...
Post a Comment