It all started when Hudson was 2 1/2. I had just returned to work a couple of months earlier and the exhaustion of working 10 hour days and then coming home to two little ones was taking it's toll. On nights when Danny was at the firehouse, Mama and Pop-pot would watch the boys. It was such a big help. By the time I got there the boys would be fed, bathed and usually ready to be popped into their car seats to head home. But even the thought of wrestling with them to get in the house and to bed seemed daunting. For some reason my boys always seemed to catch a second wind when they walked thru the door, no matter the time of night.
So I had a thought. We all know that children can quite easily fall asleep in the car and when they have just that hint of sleepiness all the better. So I got into the habit on some nights of telling Hudson that I needed to get on the highway to check the traffic. I wouldn't make it 3 exits on the Saw Mill and it was lights out for the backseat. Once he caught on I would start to tell him that we were going to take the long way home.
Well the tradition continues.
Just last night Hudson asked me "Mommy can you take the long way home." (ie. I am super tired but dont want to admit it and i really just want to fall asleep in the car)
Sure buddy we can take the long way home.


0 comments:
Post a Comment