Monday, March 30, 2009

Mee for Dylan

As a mother of two I try my hardest not to compare. I know that children are people too. People who learn at different rates, in different styles and will be willing to do things when THEY are ready. Regardless of how long I have been waiting. My latest struggle is with talking. Hudson began speaking at one and by 18 months completed his first sentence. Now in the beginning I did have to give the typical “mommy translation” to a select few but by 18 months even a passer by in the grocery store knew that the boy wanted bananas and chezzzze. He knew the words and said them clearly. My little Dylan however, he has been taking his time. We started out great last August, with his first words - Baw (ball) and Mama. And my heart swelled knowing that I had made the top two because Hudson’s first word was Caca (Cali the dog). But six months passed and those two words were the extent of if. In those months Dylan and I played a lot of charades, sounds like and show me games. I was starting to wonder if a boy could get by with Baw and Mama alone. Although I didn’t throw myself on the floor as often as Dylan, we both struggled trying to understand one another. But then the weather started to warm up, I started to believe that I really would feel the heat of the sun again, and one morning Dylan went to the frig and asked for Mee. I almost did a double take. My boy actually said a new word…mommy translation Mee = milk. And this month has been more of the same....Dylan justs throws in a new word one day like it is nothing. I swear he is even learning Chinese since taking a new liking to Ni-Hao, Kai-lan on Noggin. Although, we still have to play the show me game at times, he is throwing himself on the floor less so I think things are improving. Dylan' doctor suggested I jot down some of his words so here is a short translated list: Nana = banana Caca = Cali…odd how both pronounced her name the same. Ha = hat Pee = mommy change my diaper Duh= Dora BuhBuh = bubble bath Pidma = spiderman Bama = batman Gurt = yogurt Daw= dog Toe bury = Strawberry Peez = Please Although life has gotten a little easier for the two of us I am still waiting to hear his voice. I am still waiting for him to say “nub u mommy”

2 comments:

Annie said...

Aww my little Dylan. He has so much to say. His little face is that of an angel Jewls. Seriously..I am so glad you are patient and know that yes every child is different. He will come along more and more as he already has!! Love you guys and miss you

Anonymous said...

I hear you in the speech department! Anna and Ellie were like your oldest. They spoke in complete sentences by 18 months. Olivia did, too, but she is still sometimes hard to understand. Henry, though, is a mute. The kid just does not want to talk. Could care less. I was worried until the other day when I said, "Where's Henry" and from the empty hamper I heard "There he is!" So I know he can do it. But he won't. And I would kill for him to call me mama. For now I am Daddy.

So, are you loving the weather today? It's practically bikini weather! :)