Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Super Mom

During my first days of motherhood I really thought there was no way I was going to make it. Annie used to tell me that one day it would feel right, one day I would feel like I knew what I was doing….and I would be a super star. Well I don’t know how I fair in the super star department but there are 10 things I have learned to excel at in the last three years.

  1. How to pee while holding a sleeping baby/toddler.
  2. I can hold a child in one arm, make mac n cheese with my free hand and kick Cali her bone with one foot
  3. Lock the door on the way out holding both boys hands in one hand, with two bags slung over my shoulders and an umbrella b/w my neck.
  4. Make brushing teeth fun.
  5. Cleaning that use to take me hours I can finish in 30 minutes.
  6. I can fold clothes and put them away…..with one hand
  7. I can baby proof a room in under 30 seconds.
  8. Manage to make my mascara from yesterday look like eye liner today…..just to save some time.
  9. Letting go - once I realized some things are out of my control, I was able to get in control. This was hard for a Type A personality.
  10. Earned a “minor” in Psychology - I've learned a lot about human behavior and how to manipulate it…in a good way. Most importantly I have learned one minute I am the best thing since ice pops and the next, well lets just say I am not. And I am ok with that. Annie was right…..one day it did feel right and I did feel like I knew what I was doing. Of course like any good mother knows the next day…….it could all go down the drain.

4 comments:

Begin to Breathe said...

funny juls...i have those "super star" mom days, and i get the...."your the best mom in the world treatment. and some days...not so much. amazing though, at what we learn to juggle in a few short years huh? i for one, never knew that i could haul nearly every bag of groceries into the house in one trip. i just hope i don't hurt myself trying to P.R.
i love and miss you
jess

The Murphy's said...

You are Super Mom to me. Whenever I am not sure what to do if I don't call you, I do stop and think, "What would Julie do?"

Annie said...

You are the best "super mom"!!!! It is funny, I remember telling you that. Little did I know in trying to make you feel better, I was actually trying to convince myself at the time. The point is, you nailed it when you said sometimes you gotta it and sometimes you don't.. You usually got it my friend. When I am around you and the boys, you inspire me to be a better mom. love you!!!

The Yoders said...

Very cute and funny.... and oh, so true! I think that you made the perfect Super Mom list! You are a fabulous mother...I hope that you printed out this post for each of their memory books... their wives will love reading it someday!