I can’t say that I fell in love with our house when we first saw it. The front yard looked like a hurricane just hit. The house smelled like dog and cigarettes and there was wallpaper from the 70’s all over. So it was definitely more the potential that I fell in love with. What I did fall in love with at first site was the maple tree out front, the fireplace when you first walked in and the central air system. But as a whole the house need work and a lot of it. Danny and I have spent the last 4 years trying to bring out the potential of our home and I think we are almost there.
But despite all the work there has always been one thing that I have never truly loved about our house….the above ground pool. I have tried to put aside my feelings and even like the pool but nothing. It's been four years now and my thoughts on the “pool” have not changed. The only time I have really loved it is when I was 8 months pregnant with Dylan and it was 100 degrees out! But that doesn’t really count. I also loved vanilla ice cream with fruity pebbles. And really what I loved was not feeling the pressure of my big ol belly. I just needed a big ol pool to put that belly in.
But this weekend might have changed my feeling on the pool.
I came home Friday night and everyone was in the pool, including Cali. Splashing, swimming, jumping and laughing. Saturday same thing….3 hours in the pool. More jumping, more laughing. It reminded me of summers back home. Of my friends coming over and spending hours in the pool. Making “dance” jumps off the diving board to the Gambler and our synchronized swimming routines. Even thinking about it now makes me laugh and smile at the innocence of those days. Those were good days and great memories.
And Saturday night I was reminded about the side effect of swimming all day……exhausted little ones falling asleep early. As I sat on the couch with Dylan looking into his blood shot pool eyes he slowing closed them and was out. I looked at the clock….7:15!! What Dora wasn’t even over and he was out. I quickly followed suit with Hudson and had both boys asleep by 7:45pm. Hudson didn’t even argue not even one last drink or potty run plea. Nothing. Just a kiss and a tuck and lights out.
So while I won’t lie and say that I now love the pool I have developed a “like” of the pool. The pool is my friend. It makes the boys scream with laughter and it makes bed time much easier. What mom could argue with that?

Monday, June 7, 2010
The pool
Posted by Julie McRedmond at 10:19 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
Crying....Wish we could be there with you to enjoy it... I remember those synchronized routines...They were so fun.. I love that you remember it too..So much fun Jewls..
Post a Comment