Seven years ago something we never imagined could happen did. I lived near the Empire State building at the time and I remember walking to work. As I walked up Fifth Ave I actually took a minute to stop and contemplate what an amazing and beautiful day it was. So clear, so quiet, not a cloud in the sky. That's what I remember about Sept 11th. It was a beautiful morning. Funny what your mind allows you to recall about certain events in life. My next memory is standing in the middle of Fifth Ave and watching Tower One fall. I remember sitting on my window sill and ashes and papers falling from the sky like snow. I remember the smell and the thickness of the air. And then I remember tanks rolling down the street.
This morning it took a minute to remember what day it was. I guess seven years has allowed some time to heal. But as I drove to work and watched the flag swing from the GW Bridge it all came back. The hair stood up on my arms and my eyes started to tear. But instead of remembering the feeling of loss and panic......I remembered what a beautiful day it was seven years ago and I thanked the world for the blessings in my life.


3 comments:
i remember thinking of you that morning as i sat feeding brennen his baby cereal while watching the news. i had just gotten off a plane from california to colorado the night before (jody's wedding) and had left brennen at home with rich. i can't remember how long it took to actually get in touch with you, but i know it seemed like forever! after watching it unfold all over again the other night on the history channel...my stomach was in knots. i am so glad that your faith in life's blessings and beautiful days remains unscathed. That's something that can only be taken if we let it. i love you...this was a great post!
xoxo
jess
Hi Julie - this is just a test.
Sari
Julie: I sent your mom my comments. I know she'll send them to you - I think I have it figured out.
Post a Comment