This will be a long one so grab the popcorn. My little man just turned ONE and I am still in awe.
It was a cold day in February when I took the test. The test that changed my life forever. I always knew I wanted more than one child. I knew I wanted my children to be close in age. But when the pregnancy test came back positive I was SHOCKED! And scared.
More than anything I could not understand how I was going to love another baby soooo completely. Did I have any more room in my heart? Even with all the assurances and support I still was not totally convinced the answer was yes. And more than that I mourned my relationship with Hudson a little. In nine months it would no longer be just the two of us...that hurt. I also felt guilty for making him a big brother.......maybe he was fine with being an only child.
Regardless in nine short months life would be different.......
On the night of October 2nd 2007 I cried myself to sleep. You all know the overwhelming feelings you have knowing your baby is coming.....and I knew my baby was coming the next day. I still had so many concerns and was not convinced I could be a mother of two.
I remember sitting on the operating table crying...again...telling my Dr that it had to be a boy. I had convinced myself in the wee hours of the morning that that was the only way I would survive. Two boys...that was the answer....Sometimes in life the stars align and we are blessed with exactly what we wish for.
When I held Dylan in my arms for the first time it was like I became a mother for the first time all over again. The love was all consuming and there was no doubt I could do this. YES I had enough love! But I guess all the rest of you already knew that. And the first time Hudson met Dylan any worry in my mind that he was not meant to be a big brother vanished. Dylan became his baby as much as he did mine.
The past year has gone by way too quickly and it seems like my baby has become a boy over night.
The first smile is always the best milestone for me. FINALLY I get a little something for all the effort.
Even when you are prepared the months seem to go by in an instant. Before I knew it Mother’s Day was upon us and Dylan started the “Let me put everything in my mouth” phase. He also seemed to have his own language and babble happily to himself…..especially in the morning before I would get him out of his crib. I would lie in bed and listen to him talking to himself. Such a great way to wake up.
And here we are one year later. He has favorite games to play….basically anything that involves a ball. And he loves music. He will stand up against the furniture and shake his legs and throw his head back and forth. He lets you know when he is ‘upset’ by SCREAMING. I honestly don’t think I have ever heard a little person be so loud. And what is it with the cabinets….OMG open-shut-open-shut-open-shut. I know he is learning to explore but you can play connect the dots with the bruises on my legs. Good thing fall is here.
So to recap...here we are day one
And here we are today!
It is funny how quickly your life can change and how quickly you feel like life could never be any different. When I look back at that girl a year ago, with all those fears, I almost don’t recognize her. Dylan has completed my life and I could never imagine a life without him. His love has given me confidence and reassurance that being a mommy to two is a prefect fit. 

7 comments:
oh julie...that's the sweetest thing i've read...i got tears in my eyes and i can relate to what you wrote....they grow up so quick, i can't believe scarlett will be one in less than 2 months...love your story and the pics...so precious, dylan is adorable...luv, vee
what a special post...to a very special little guy! i remember talking you about mourning the loss of hudson being #1, and i so vividly remember feeling the same when bryce was on his way. amazing how we manage isn't it?
you are an amazing mommy julie....still seems so wierd that that's what we are! i guess we can kiss those splatter painted trucks good bye. who knows maybe one of our boys will want one?
love you and your "dylan story"
I love the post! You have an adorable little family! Love all of the pictures! Time passes so quickly and our little ones are growing and changing every day! It is hard to keep up! xoxo
Okay, so I am totally crying right now. I love your popcorn recap. I love seeing the pictures of you in the hospital with him. It seems like yesterday I was getting those fotos. You have such a beautiful family Julie, and I know you do
not take one second for granted with them. Thank you for blessing me as well with your love and friendship. Also, with being Dylan's nina. I am so honored...still...
xoxoxox
luv u,
me
I loved reading that, and my favorite pic is of you two in the hospital. so sweet. I could also relate to wanting another boy. I was so happy and relieved when I had my ultrasound for Dane. time goes so fast, and after I read your post, I immediately got out a pen and paper and started writing down all the little things about Dane that I have been meaning to record, because I don't want to forget anything and he will soon be one yr! thanks for that post!
What a sweet post. He will love to read it someday.
I felt the same way when I found out I was having my second. I cried. I felt so guilty and sad that I was no longer giving all my attention to one child. But isn't it amazing how much more love each child brings in to your home? How you can love each child just the same?
You are a great Mom and a beautiful one to boot!
Julie, I know I'm behind in reading all of these, but this was worth it. This is such a special message to your little boy. You should print it out and save it for him. God has blessed you with TWO beautiful boys...it's funny that we all seem to have 2 kids, so I know we can all relate to your feelings and amazement at having so much love to give to two little people. Thanks for sharing the most special thoughts and feelings with us. Just too precious.
Love,
Christine
Post a Comment